Trailhead: Exit the free Scenic Drive shuttle at Weeping Rock trailhead and follow the trail to Observation Point, the East Rim, and Hidden Canyon.
Mileage: 2 miles (3.2 km), round-trip, or longer, depending on your perseverance
Elevation Gain: 850 feet (259 meters)
Approximate Hike Time: 3 hours, round-trip
Difficulty: Moderate, with strenuous sections
Crowds: Traffic thins out significantly when the trail splits off from the Observation Point/East Rim trail. The further into Hidden Canyon you delve, the fewer hikers you encounter.
Best Times of Day:
• During winter, hike in later morning or early afternoon to let the canyon heat up a little from its chilling nightime lows.
• During summer, any time of day will grant cool shadows to escap the heat of the main canyon outside.
Best Times of Year:
• Hidden Canyon is a great hike any time of year.
• Summer hikers especially appreciate the cool, shaded icebox effect of the stone canyon.
• Summer and autumn allow the driest access to the upper reaches of the canyon.
• Winter rains and spring snow melt often make for a wet slog past the canyon mouth.