For 2014, we anticipate hiring 1-2 new staff for this position.
We are seeking gregarious, entertaining, and intellectually-strong historian and geologist type characters, who are savvy vehicle drivers with some off-road driving experience. This combination of diverse skills is used as you navigate our 2012 Mitsubishi Fuso 4wd vehicle on dirt roads, mesas and drainages of the southwest Zion Plateau, offering interpretation on flora, fauna, human history, and geology along the way.
Overland Tour Guide responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Driving courteously, avoiding risks which could harm passengers, vehicles, or the environment
• Facilitating meaningful, helpful, informative, and pleasant conversations with customers
• Offering knowledge, anecdotal stories, and interactive communication with clients on flora, fauna, geology, local history, and natural history during tour routes.
• Educating clients in the principles of Leave No Trace travel
• Solving problems with grace and efficiency
• Maintaining the tour vehicle for cleanliness, fueling, fluid checking, and communicating maintenance needs to the vehicle fleet manager
• Helping connect clients with other ZAC guided events, outfitting for the Narrows, or other Zion activities
• Building an impressive knowledge base of the recreation oppurtunities, roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
• Enhancing the Overland experience by further developing and improving the tours.
Starting Pay is $12/hour. Training occurs in 3- to 6-hour sessions over a period of a few weeks. An average tour is about 3.5 hours of paid driver time. Upon completion of twenty tours as a solo Tour driver, a $5 per person commission is earned by the driver when delivering tours to 3 or more clients.
Part- and full-time job positions are available with a minimum driver availability of two tours per week to qualify.
Drivers work schedule depends on demand for the tours. We offer two tours each day (9 am and afternoon). On a scheduled work day a driver may run zero, one, or two tours depending on what clients book. In 2013, an average of nine tours each week booked. The work season concludes in mid- to late-October unless demand dictates otherwise.
Training begins March 3, for solo Tour driving by early April.
1) Must have a valid, clean driver's license with a commercial taxi endorsement prior to first day of work (requires written test @ DMV). A Taxi endorsment may be available in your current driver license state. A Utah license is not required.
2) Must acquire Utah Department of Transportation Med Card (requires physical with doctor who does UDOT Med Card Exams).
3 )Must have valid First Aid and CPR certification, or WFR.
4) Must be at least 22 years of age upon start of work (vehicle insurance requirement).
• An astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
• Opportunity to work outside
• Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park
• Pro-purchase opportunities from many outdoor equipment manufacturers
• Work with an incredible team connected individuals dedicated to a high quality of life for themselves and our guests. We want the same for you. Unlike cubicle neighbors, we get to know each other. Our staff want each other to be great, to pursue excellence in all we do, to support each other, be supported and deliver a high level of performance every day.
• Free tuition for ZAC guided trips and courses in canyoneering, climbing, mountain biking, hiking, and road biking
• Free use of company rental gear for personal recreation days
Application Deadline: January 25, 2014