Went up Angels Landing twice this last week, so I thought I’d report on how spring is coming along in Zion Canyon.
From a bloom point of view, things are getting ready to start. A few plants are currently flowering, but not too many. On the lower switchbacks, I saw a few flowers including:
• Zion Milkvetch (purple pea-type flowers, low to the ground, most prominent flower at the moment)
• Western Wallflower (cluster of yellow, four-petaled flowers, mostly isolated individuals, some in clumps, second-most prominent at the moment)
• Slickrock Paintbrush (red paintbrush, close to the ground. A few here and there)
• Yellow sweet clover (I think. Spreading leaves, small yellow flowers pea-like)
Driving, on the side of the road near the Museum, there was:
• Cliffrose (flowering bush, LOTs of white blooms. Very strong “rose” smell).
Then it snowed on Sunday evening, so…