Leave it to the French to make not only a highly engineered, comfortable headpiece, but also a beautiful 5+ minute video to tell the world about it. The new Petzl Elia helmet was designed specially for women’s heads. How are female heads differnet than their male counterparts? That’s what I wondered. But the video help point out the subtleties:
1. Perhaps obviously, women sport a much greater variety of hairstyles than men, and accomodating for this seems to be a major feature of this helmet.
2. Women generally care about fit and comfort more than men (and rightly so), so this helmet was specifically designed to hug the entire head evenly, rather than the rear-center weighting most helmets feature.
3. Female heads are much smaller than male heads (in more ways than one).
4. The removable interior helmet foam allows washing for a cleaner, odor-free experience, which women seem to value more than us smelly dudes.
As per usual, Petzl’s color choices seem a bit… Euro?… but that’s to be expected. Thanks to Petzl for helping fill to void of women’s climbing products; hopefully we will incorporate them into our guiding line-up soon.
Here are the rest of the specs and the sweet subtitled video:
- Color options: 3
- 3 year warranty
- Specifically sized for women (52-58 cm headband)
- Patented OMEGA system adapts to pony-tails
- Headband can be adjusted with two lateral buttons
- Side openings for ventilation
- Injection molded ABS shell
- Expanded polystyrene liner
- Adjustable chinstrap, nape height and headband
- Chin strap position adjusts forward or backward and redesigned side-release chin strap buckle is positioned off to the side
- Narrow polyester webbing straps
- Headband adjustment folds into the shell for storage
- Headlamp attachment with 4 clips.
- * Foam is removable and washable